Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April 7, 2014

Father,

Well that was indeed a subtle change from typical letters and secular information haha. I appreciate all the kind words and remarks which you have thus given. It's been an echoing thought throughout my entire mission that "you should've listened to your parents a little more." Haha but there are indeed so many things that I have learned over the past 22 months that have made me realize many different things. I think one of the biggest is I've learned how not to live anymore. In many regards. But entering certain homes or seeing certain situations has definitely given me a larger perspective on life. It's made me extremely grateful for the families that I've been given. Although we had a few years of rough patches and some of those feelings still continue today, it's one of those mountains that I'm grateful I was able to climb. The mission has been one of the hardest things that I've ever done. There are many blessings that you have serving in the states but there are also many challenges. There's a lot of distractions and if you're not careful you get sucked into things much to easily. As compared to no television, radio, or Hollywood influences in the jungle of Brazil. However, I'm not showering in muddy water or swatting flies in my mud hut for that I am pretty grateful haha. It's been one of the hardest things to not relax, quit, or justify petty sins out here. I'm consistently tired, I dread waking up in the morning due to lack of sleep the night before. But by the time you get out there and go, for the most part none of that matters anymore. I still don't have a "perfect knowledge of all things" but I've definitely developed a greater appreciation and love for the gospel and my family. You see a lot of broken homes out here and a lot of struggles with the people in the world. It makes it pretty clear that when you do what you're supposed to it's a lot easier to go through life. Doesn't mean that you won't have trials and heartache because we will.... That's life haha. But it seems like the harder you try the better things are. At least the trials that do come aren't self inflicted like a lot of what you see out here. I am grateful for your example in my life as well. A lot of who I am isn't any of my doing, but the example that my parents set for me. All four of them. You've all taught me great attributes and qualities you need to have in life, maybe even some things you shouldn't do in life haha. But all in all, your advice of little eyes always watching in a large measure was very applicable to me when I was growing up. Honestly, the main reason I kept going to church and being involved in youth stuff after I moved in with you was because I didn't want to disappoint you. Maybe not the best reason to do what was right, but once again I believe it was you who said there's no wrong reason for doing the right thing haha. But know that I'm extremely grateful for all you and Nic have done for me over the past couple years. I wouldn't be out here if it wasn't for your support. 

It'll definitely be a bitter sweet experience to come home. I have grown to love some of the people out here very very much so. But I'm also extremely excited to see my family again. A realization I've been pondering a little bit over the last couple months is life goes on whether or not we're in it. It sparked when President Wilson talked about if a mistake was made how "Well if it doesn't work, the world will keep spinning." As I've thought about that it's been kind of an eye opener as to no matter what happens, the world continues to move. Which has made me appreciate all the things that have happened over the past couple years to strengthen my knowledge and understanding of the gospel. 

As for missionary work though this past week was decent. We had a couple more lessons with Sandra which went really well. She's super stoked to get baptized and I'll be super stoked to see it if I'm still around for it. She was the only one that came to conference and she stayed for all four sessions haha. She's not even a member of the church and she's already watched more conference then I did till I was a missionary haha. President Segura said she needed to get tickets and go in the fall so if she does that we should go with her. Even if she doesn't go we should go haha. I don't remember ever going to conference and I only live 45 minutes away haha. So we should do that. Maybe go down for the priesthood session then get a little Tucanos afterwards huh? What do you say? Haha. Other then that we didn't find any new people this week which is a little saddening. But all is well. We're kind of weeding out some of our investigators and helping the ones we do have to progress more. People just don't want to commit to things these days. Filthy liberal media... I blame them haha. But anyways, that's about all I have for you at the present time. I'll talk to you next week! I love and appreciate you very much so. Talk to you soon!

Love,

Your son.

P.S. I don't know if you're planning any journeys for when I get back, but if you are, can I have the dates for those? I don't need to know what it is. But a time frame would be cool cause there's a couple events that I would like to attend out here if I got the opportunity too.

No comments:

Post a Comment